Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Do the best you can.

I wasn't like other many other children who knew exactly what they wanted to be when they were older. I mean ya, being a rock star would be cool, but it wasn't my DREAM. It took me a lot of trial and error to figure out who and what I wanted to be. When I was 18 I realized how much I enjoyed exercise and decided I would pursue that fully. I started college pursuing a degree in exercise science and became a personal trainer, I then realized how much more I'd rather be in the gym then sitting in a classroom, so I dropped out of college after two years. Fast forward two more years to my life changing diagnosis of hip dysplasia, that was a world rocker. I don't think people understand when I say I had to grieve the loss of the old me. The old me died. I was no longer able to rely on my body as much as I had, I am no longer able to try anything and everything with money and opportunity being the only obstacles.

It makes me laugh sometimes when I tell people what's "wrong with me" and all they can say is, "you're too young for hip problems." Well that is definitely a true statement, I am too young, but alas I have hip problems so no need to backpedal. That's almost as good as, "oh, that's what German Shepard's have, right?" Why yes, I have the same hip problems as a dog. It doesn't bother me too much anymore, that's how people understand things in their perspective. I have come to terms with the fact that I will probably never be able to run again without pain, I've definitely come to terms with the fact that I'll never be able to weight lift like I used to, because my joints just can't take it. I am nervous to someday have kids, because I don't know how my pelvis will respond after being broken 3 ways on each side. It's definitely a rude awakening, but it's an awakening I've embraced. I lost my cat yesterday, who has been in my life since I was 12; when I say she's been in my life, I mean by my side constantly, she slept with me, hung out with me day in and day out for 12 years. Noah asked me if it was worse than surgery, because he knew how hard surgery was for me, I would take surgery 100 times over before I'd lose my cat.

What I'm trying to get at with this post is that it's important to adapt to the changes that life throws at you. Everyone knows that life is not easy, nor is it fair, but it is what you make of it. Instead of feeling sorry for myself and trying to continue with a lifestyle that I know isn't good for me mentally or physically, I decided to make a 180 degree change. Working out has taken a back seat, school has taken the front seat and it has been a good transition. I am looking forward to a career in criminal justice, I am looking forward to having a bright and amazing future with my boyfriend. As cheesy as it is, everything happens for a reason. If I wasn't diagnosed with hip dysplasia, I would be in the Air Force, and I'm sure that would have worked out the way it was supposed to, but I think I got a pretty sweet deal despite the pain and suffering that hip dysplasia brought.

Do the absolute best you can with what you're dealt. Use the resources and people around you to embrace your circumstances and turn them into positive outcomes. Instead of using my hip dysplasia as a crutch and an excuse of what I can't do, I will be able to say despite my hip dysplasia I was able to accomplish......

You got this! Be the warrior that we both know is inside of you.

<3 B

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your kitty :(

    Keep adapting. It never goes out of style.

    ReplyDelete